Pre-planning your move into the new home is extremely important. The guide below is a good start to creating your schedule for the move into your home.
- Contact moving companies for estimates.
- Inventory household goods. Photograph valuables.
- Downsize: Sell, donate or toss unwanted items. Be ruthless.
- Get transcripts of children’s school records.
- Check auto registration and licensing requirements at the new location.
- Check with insurance agent on coverage of household goods en route to new
- Pick up anything being repaired, serviced or on layaway.
- Fill out change of address forms at Post Office.
- Notify friends, family, credit card companies, magazines, department stores,
etc. of new address.
- Schedule a date for a transfer to the new owner and termination of your responsibility for all utilities. Provide your new address for final billing.
- Transfer or resign organization or club memberships.
- Start packing (for do-it-yourselfers).
- Arrange appliance servicing for move, if needed.
- Check on disposal of hazardous materials, including paint.
- Cancel newspaper delivery, trash pick-up, etc.
- Arrange to have utilities transferred or turned on at your new location.
- Be available to answer the mover’s questions.
- Make final check of rooms - closets, drawers, cupboards, etc.
- Sweep or vacuum.
- Lock up and take off.
- Make sure that the utilities are connected at your new home.